History, Gazetteer, and Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire: William White, 1840

ELLERTON PRIORY parish contains Rose Moor and other scattered farms, and the straggling village of Ellerton, on the east side of the Derwent vale, 9 miles N.N.W. of Howden, and 14 miles S.E. by S. of York. It has 305 inhabitants, and 2,320 acres of land, belonging to several proprietors, some of whom are resident; but the largest owner and lord of the manor is Sir Cphr. Bethell Codrington Bethell, the impropriator, and patron of the Church (St. Mary) an ancient and much neglected edifice, which is falling fast to decay for want of repairs, and is part of the nave of the conventual church which adjoined the Priory of Gilbertine canons, founded before the year 1221 by William Fitz-Peter, and endowed with about £78 per annum. The church windows have been rich in stained glass, of which many fragments still remain. The interior is “stalled in the vilest maner, and the roof is supported by several poles”. The perpetual curacy, valued in K.B. at £10, and now at £110, was augmented in 1732 and 1794 with £400 of Q.A.B., and with land worth £210, given by Hugh Bethell, Esq. and the other freeholders. The Rev. John Wilkinson is the incumbent. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. The Almshouses for six poor and aged parishioners, were founded in 1610 by Sir Hugh Bethell, who endowed them with a yearly rent charge of £16, now paid out of land at Aughton. They have since been endowed with an allotment of about 9 acres, awarded at the enclosure of Ellerton common, in 1803, and now let for £4 15s. per annum; also with a yearly rent charge of 10s. out of a cottage and garth in Ellerton, and with £13 a year out of the rents of a house and about 15 acres of land at East Cottingwith, now let for £24; of which £11 per annum is distributed among the poor parishioners of Ellerton, in consideration of £50 left by Wm. Bethell, Esq. in 1693, and laid out in purchasing part of the said land. The Poor’s Land is 21 acres, given by an unknown donor. The poor parishioners have also four rent charges, amounting to 23s. 4d. a year, left by Thomas Wood, John Young, and other donors.


Ellerton Priory Parish

Brown Robert, gentleman

Brown William, corn miller

Buttle Mr. John

Carr Mr. John

Harrison James, tailor

Harrison Robert, wheelwright

Horston William, shoemaker

Hustwick Geo., blacksmith and beer hs.

Morley Isaac, schoolmaster

Pexton Nathaniel, blacksmith

Young George, wheelwright

Young James, vict. & shoemaker


Farmers (* are yeomen)

* Adamson Thos

Blanchard Thos., S. Rose Moor

Blanchard Wm., N. Rose Moor

* Boast William

Dale Rd. & John

Hatfield Mary

Johnson John

* Mosey William

Richardson Wm.

Stephenson Wm.

Tate Thomas

Wake James

* Watson John

Wharram Matths.



Lee Elizabeth

Nutt William

Selby Richard



R. Selby, to Howden Sat., and Selby, Mon.

Wm. Craven, to Selby Mon., & York, Sat.

Samuel Gowthorpe to York, Sat.