Post Office Directory North and East Ridings of Yorkshire: 1857

ELLERTON or ELLERTON PRIORY, is a parish and township in the union of Howden, and East Riding, distant 3 miles north from Bubwith, on the Selby and Market Weighton railway, 9 north-west from Howden, and situated on the east of the river Derwent. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £110, in the gift of the Rev. J. D. Jefferson, and held by the Rev. W. G. Wilkinson. The church of St. Mary is a handsome stone building, with spire and 2 bells. There is a chapel for Wesleyans. The population, in 1851, was 342; the acreage is 2,552. There are almshouses for six poor people.

Brown Mr. Robert


Adamson Thomas, farmer & jobber

Anderson Edward, carrier

Anson George, farmer

Cavill George, tailor & shopkeeper

Dale Richard & John, farmers

Ferby John, farmer, North Rose moor

Fletcher John, frmr. South Rose moor

Harrison Robert, wheelwright

Harrison Thomas, shopkeeper

Hustwick Geo. Half Moon, & smith

Johnson John, farmer

Knapton Wm. farmer, Ellerton grange

Laverack John, carrier

Morley Isaac, schoolmaster

Newham William, farmer

Nutt David, farmer, the Hall

Precious John, miller

Scott George, wheelwright

Stephenson Francis, farmer

Tate Thomas, Boot & Shoe, & farmer

Wake James, farmer

Watson John, farmer

Wilkinson Robert, farmer

Wilson Samuel, farmer