Kelly's Post Office Directory of the North & East Ridings of Yorkshire: 1889

ELLERTON, or ELLERTON PRIORY, is a parish and township, in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Holme Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, Holme Beacon petty sessional division, union and county court district of Howden; rural deanery of Weighton, archdeaconry of the East Riding and York diocese; 3 miles north from Bubwith station, on the Selby and Market Weighton branch of the North Eastern railway, 9 north-west from Howden, and 3½ north from Highfield station, and situated on the east of the river Derwent. The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, in the Norman style, having chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and a belfy with small spire containing 2 bells; all the windows contain portions of stained glass from the ancient Priory: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1680. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £110, including 89 acres of glebe, in the gift of the John Joseph Dunnington-Jefferson esq. There are Wesleyans and Primitive Methodist chapels, also almshouses for three poor people. Here was anciently a Gilbertine Priory, founded before 1212, by W. Fitz-Pierre and J. Barden, and dedicated to SS. Mary and Lawrence. At the time of its dissolution there were twelve canons and revenues amounting to £62. The landowners are Miss Hall, James Lund, esq. J.P., D.L. of Malsis Hall, Sutton, West Yorks, H. G. Bridges, esq. and J. J. D. Jefferson esq. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, potatoes, barley, oats, and turnips. The acreage is 2,552; rateable value, £2,684; the population in 1881 was 282.


Parish Clerk, Amos Moore.


Letters through York, by foot post, arrive at 10 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Bubwith


Wall Letter Box, cleared at 3.15 p.m.


National School, erected in 1879, for 50 children; average attendance, 35; Mrs. Burchell, mistress



SELBY – William Hetherington, on mon

YORK - Richard Dearing & William Hetherington, on sat



Anson George, farmer

Barker Thomas, shoe maker

Bradley & Visete, farmers

Dearing Richard, shopkeeper & carrier

Etherington George, mattress maker

Featherby Wm. farmer, North Ross moor

Harrison Charles, blacksmith

Harrison Robert, wheelwright

Howden Thomas, shopkeeper

Nutt Thomas, farmer, The Hall

Richardson William, shoe maker

Sharp William, tailor

Stephenson Francis, farmer

Tate Margaret (Miss), Boot & Shoe P.H.

Wake George, farmer

Watson Robert, farmer

Watson Thomas, farmer

Watson William, farmer

Wilkinson Robert, farmer