Kelly's Directory of the North & East Ridings of Yorkshire: 1925

ELLERTON, or Ellerton Priory, is a parish and township, on the east of the river Derwent, 3 miles north from Bubwith station, on the Selby and Market Weighton branch of the North Eastern railway, 9 north-west from Howden, in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Holme Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, Holme Beacon petty sessional division, union and county court district of Howden; rural deanery of Weighton, archdeaconry of the East Riding and York diocese. The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a belfy with small spire containing 2 bells; all the windows contain portions of stained glass from the ancient Priory: there are 220 sittings. The register dates from the year 1680. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of East Cottingwith and the vicarage of Aughton annexed, joint net yearly value £305, including glebe, in the gift of the Joseph John Dunnington-Jefferson esq. J.P. and T. H. Newsome esq. and held since 1921 by the Rev. Frederick Charnock Bamford Darwent, of St. Aidan's. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and almshouses for three poor people. Charities amounting to about £69 yearly are distributed amongst the poor of the parish. Here was anciently a Gilbertine Priory, founded before 1212, by W. Fitz-Pierre and J. Barden, and dedicated to SS. Mary and Lawrence; at the time of its dissolution there were nine canons and revenues amounting to £62; there are still some remains of interest. The principal landowners are Reginald Lund esq. Capt. H. G. Bridges, Thomas Henry Newsome, esq. and Frank Green esq. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, potatoes, barley, oats, and turnips. The area is 2,551 acres of land, 1 of water and 5 of tidal water; rateable value, £2,666; the population in 1921 was 263.


Post Office.—Miss Alice Slights, sub-postmistress.

Letters through York. Bubwith, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Public Elementary School, erected in 1895, for 68 children; the Aughton children now attend this school; Miss Florence Mellish, mistress


Darwent Rev. Frederick Charnock Bamford (vicar), Vicarage



Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over

Barrie Wm. farmer, South grange

Bissett George, bricklayer

Buttle Robert (exors. of), farmer

* Dickinson Harry, farmer, The Hall & South Ross

Hemingway Lewis, boot maker

Harrison William Robert, blacksmith

Maples John, farmer

* Nutt William, jun. farmer, Short Acre house

Slights Alice (Miss), grocer, Post off

Tanfield Wm. farmer, Blueslate farm

Tate Joseph, Boot & Shoe P.H. & wheelwright

Wake John Robt. farmer, Dale’s farm

Waterson Leonard, shpkpr. & carrier

* Watson Fred & Albert, farmers, Town end

Watson Chas. frmr. North Ross moor

Watson Robt. farmer, Ellerton North grange

Watson William, farmer

Watson Wm. Jn. frmr. Sunnybank ho

* Wetherell Lily (Mrs.), farmer & landowner, Priory farm